How to make kale chips & healthy potato chips/crisps

If you're like me and you eat healthily and don't want to eat crisps, but crave them, then these homemade kale and potato chips would be perfect for you. I wish I'd known his recipe sooner. I thought I'd share how to make these kale and potato chips as they're super easy to make and are a great alternative to chips. 


For both of these you will need:
  • Salt (or whatever flavouring you want to use)
  • Oil (I used coconut oil)
  • Kale
  • Potatoes

Before I did anything, I melted coconut oil in a pan. If you don't use coconut oil, then you wont need to, but I prefer coconut oil. I waited for that to cool down before doing anything else.


Kale chips
  1. Preheat the oven to 160C/320F/Gas Mark 3.
  2. Thoroughly wash the kale.
  3. Pull the kale apart and throw away the big stalks.
  4. Put them into a bowl, add oil and mix it together using your hands.
  5. Sprinkle salt (or your chosen flavouring) and mix it in with your hands.
  6. Put them flat onto a baking tray and put them into the oven for around 10 minutes. I checked them every 5 minutes at a time because some will cook quicker than the others, depending on the size. When they're brown at the edges and crunchy, then they're done.

Potato chips
The potato chips are pretty much similar, although they take a little bit longer to cook. I've tried to make these potato chips before and they ended up being too thick and didn't really work, but this time around they went perfect. 



I used the coconut oil that I'd melted in a pan because I made the kale chips and potato chips at the same time. If you use normal oil, you wont need to melt it.

  1. Preheat the oven to 160C/320F/Gas Mark 3.
  2. Wash and peel the potatoes.
  3. Use a grater to make the potato slices thin, or you can freely chop them. I then washed them again in a sieve.
  4. Put the sliced potato into a bowl, add the oil and mix it in with your hands. 
  5. Add the salt (or your chosen flavouring) and mix it in with your hands.
  6. Once it's all mixed together, put them flat onto a baking tray and put them into the oven for around 20 minutes. I did check every 5 minutes as there's always some that cook quicker than the others. Once they were crispy, I took them out to cool down and then they're ready to eat.

And that's how to make your own kale and potato chips. They're so delicious, not bad for you and don't take too long to make. I want to try and make the potato chips with sweet potato and other vegetables. I hope these instructions made sense and helped. I really want to start doing more healthy food blogposts, so let me know if you'd be interested in that!



Have you made these before?

Instagram | YouTube | Twitter | Tumblr | Snapchat: embarker97

Comments

Popular Posts